Thursday, January 12, 2012

Gluten free

I'm trying out diets. For a few months I'll be testing out the gluten free diet. Later I’ll avoid dairy. The majority of last fall I was really exhausted, I got 8-9 hours of sleep and still had a hard time waking up and being energized. I work out twice a week and I ride my bike to school every day. I shouldn't be so tired. Talking to my family practitioner resulted in blood tests, which resulted in nothing. The doctor said he suspected celiac disease, because that can come like a thief in the night. Maybe I am allergic to something I eat. Doesn’t hurt to avoid certain foods for some time and see if there is a change.

The first thoughts I had about the possibility of being gluten intolerant, was mixed. On one hand I was upset about the cinnamon buns I would have to stay away from; on the other hand I knew Min had talked about avoiding wheat for a long time. It could have been worse, I could have been diabetic. I loves my chocolate!

Luckily we cook mostly at home. I can avoid normal flour in sauces and casseroles, use potato flour or corn meal instead. I took a look at the allergies shelves in the grocery store, and felt quite happy. There are 3 different kinds of gluten free flour, there are variations on pasta, they have cookies and chocolates and various kinds of bread without gluten.

The cafeteria at work has frozen bread rolls made with lots of seeds and no gluten. Because we have students with celiac disease, they school has decided to sell these rolls for the same price as normal bread rolls. I have lunch covered three times a week. Today I brought the German vacuum packed bread slices and had pepper mackerel as a spread. For the past two hours my fingers have smelled of fish.

Gluten free isn’t as bad as I thought. I do hope I figure out what is wrong, and if I’m lucky, I can re-introduce normal bread again. And not be a picky eater at restaurants and at dinner parties.

No comments:

Post a Comment