Monday, January 2, 2012

getting ready for a new semester

The Christmas break is over. Over a week of sleeping in, going to bed late, watching movies and eating candy is over. The new year has started, and as tradition goes; January 1st was mainly spent in bed. Today, I practiced getting up early and went to work. It was hard to fall asleep last night, and really hard to get out of bed this morning. Even though I needed to use the bathroom, it was like the air in the bedroom forced me to stay under the covers. The heated bathroom floor called for me, and half an hour after the alarm went off, I conquered the uncanny coldness and got out of bed.

Somehow the front wheel of Min's bike is missing. I rode his bike to the gym three days after Christmas, and he put the bike in our car when he came home. The bike was taken out of the car a few days later, (the wheel has to come off in order for it to fit in the back seat), and now that wheel is missing. Looking around for something that isn't there doesn't make it appear, so I had to use my own bike, the one which rear wheel is crooked and makes peaceful biking really difficult. To make sure it wouldn't hinder forward motion too much, I dismantled the breaks.

I got to work and was, for a few hours, the only person making lessonplans for the new year. Now two male colleges have shown up, and a laughterbox of a 9th grade teacher brough her two annoying kids in. They're staggering about in their too big jackets, looking for candy at the teachers' desks. In the other workroom, I can hear a 10th grade teacher's voice talking soothingly to a complaining kid. The three kids seem to bond over their destiny as offspring of educationists, and are arranging a running contest where they yell, hum and scream simulatinously. What joy!

Clearly, my work day should be over by now. I've read up on hinduism, made 26 copies the language history assignments for 10th grade, printed out maps of England, Northern Ireland, Ireland, Scotland and Wales, plus an outline map for the 8th graders to plot in cities. I have also tried to decide what to focus on for German in 8th and 10th grade, but I will discuss it with the other German teacher tomorrow. Now I will rearrange my desk, wave bye-bye to the quarterpersons and try my luck on the bike without rear breaks.

No comments:

Post a Comment