Thursday, August 4, 2011

Garden works

We have the last few days been working in the garden. There is a birch tree growing in the flower bed and the holly bush is twice my height. We have some plum trees, but they are being strangled by the gigant willow. Our Swede bought a hammoch yesterday, and when we got back from our shopping spree, Min was already chopping off branches and making a passage way through the yard. Hopefully when the rain is gone, our Swede can relax on the hanging bed.
I don't have green thumbs (or fingers, as we say in Norwegian) at all. I can barely see the difference between flowers and weeds, and I am scared of the snake-like ivy that wraps itself around everything. I've pulled up purple fireweeds from our driveway and green leaves from the gravel under the drying rack. The holly bush is beautiful to look at, and it is nice and green when everything looks dead in the winter. But right now, it's a little too big in the flower bed. I got some giant clippers and cut off the lower branches, some higher branches and offspring bushes of the original tree.

It started raining and Min went under shelter where he could see me clipping ferociously. "Stop!" he said! "Too much!". I walked away from the holly and studied it from a distance. The lower right part of the bush is barren and the left side is not pretty either. I could only agree that I'd gone a little crazy. Min said: "If we have kids, please don't ever do this to them!" No hair cuts like that, note taken.

We've been doing a lot of things to this house. I put in new floors in the hallway and the two bedrooms, Min cleaned up the basement and made it an actual workable place. We hope we can continue to live here for years to come. One of Min's friends on facebook said she is planning to spend some time in Europe next year and was wonder if he was going to be here. Min answered: "YES! Norway is my new home, I will be here next fall." It made me warm to my heart that he embraces my country so openly. We intend on staying here, making our place more homely and have some permanency.

No comments:

Post a Comment